From somebody's trash to my treasure. I like to re-style & re-create what was once a cast off. Isn't that what Jesus does with us?


Monday, January 24, 2011

Soup's On!

It's been the coldest around here that it's been this winter! Yesterday we took a little drive to my nephew's 2nd birthday party and it was in the negative degrees!!! Brrrrr! That was three hours north of here. The weathermen are saying we may get 1-2 feet of snow in the next day or two if the weather tracts the right way!!! Another Brrrrrr!!! My husband is happy. At the end of winter last year, he bought a snowblower. Now he is eager for us to get a SERIOUS SNOW! My girls are excited too. Daddy has promised a snow tunnel in the back yard if we get the expected pummel of snow! Me? Well, I'll be sitting inside my cozy little house, sipping a warm cup of tea and video taping all the fun from a warm distance (smile!)
I must say though all this cold weather has got me thinking about warm, satisfying soup. The kind that melts even the bitterest of colds away. The kind of warm that hugs you like a warm, snugly blanket. I want it to warm my bones up. You know what I mean? Through and through kinda warm.

I just cooked my first whole, organic chicken. After we had the chicken and potatoes and gravy for dinner, I pulled off the dark meat and a couple leg bones and through them in my stock pot along with the savory broth it made. I cut up some carrots, added more broth and let it simmer for about an hour on the stove. At last I added some egg noodles and lots of good, black pepper. It was so hearty and yummy!

It lasted for several meals. (Oh, did I mention I did take out the leg bones? smile)

I went to the grocery store this morning with my sister and my girls. We picked up some wild rice and fresh, sliced mushrooms. I am looking forward to making a creamy wild rice-and mushroom soup this week while the snow is falling.

I'm looking forward to learning more about using spices in my cooking, other than just salt and pepper. There's so many yummy alternatives to the packaged, processed stuff you buy in grocery stores. You just have to know where to find it and how to use it. I'm not there yet, but I am learning little by little. I love the fact that I can make something fresh and natural for my family, and that it is good for them too.
My sister just gave me a little seed packet of dill to pot on my windowsill. I can't wait to get it started. I can imagine some recipes with some fresh herbs as well. I'll be using some fresh sage in my creamy mushroom soup.

I'll have to give you a taste when it's done!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this soup look delicious!The wild rice and mushroom soup sounds really good also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks so yummy! I just found you from your comment on Humble Pie! You have a really cute blog!

    ReplyDelete