From somebody's trash to my treasure. I like to re-style & re-create what was once a cast off. Isn't that what Jesus does with us?


Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Help

Happy Summer, Friends --
Yes it's still summer here in the Northeast, and I am going to celebrate to the very end, hurricane Irene or not.
Today, in the midst of rain showers, my mom, sis and I went to the movies to see The Help.
I hadn't heard anything about it prior to seeing it, but it proved to be phenomenal.
Although the Civil Rights Movement had come and gone a century before this 1960's fictional account, racism was still apparent in many homes in the South. Kathryn Stockett, author of the book by the same name, was very clever in writing three main characters into the plot that was both gripping and eye-opening. Emma Stone stars as a journalist capturing the black maid's controversial stories which later gets published. This brings about much turmoil for Aibileen ( Viola Davis) and Minnie (Octavia Spencer) two black maids in Mississippi,  There's also a couple light - hearted scenes staring Skeeter (Emma Stone) and her new found boyfriend; as well as one with Sissy Spacek's character, Minny and Bryce Dallas Howard (Hilly). Let me just say the latter involves chocolate pie. When you go see the movie, you will definitely know what I mean. HILARIOUS! The action brings about a triumphant, cathartic moment for the viewer that is on Minny's side.


I give the movie 5 thumbs up out of five and definitely want to go see it again!!

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment